web site ammendments for yum

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 3 23:49:02 UTC 2004

Quoting Jonas Pasche <mail at jonaspasche.de>:

> I really have conflicting feelings about the Download page. Fedora
> Legacy isn't something to download; it is something to _use_, and the
> howto-style documentation tells users how to use it. Therefore I plead
> for turning the current Download page into a reference page that tells:

Yes, I feel your pain.

> 1) "If you are new to this stuff and don't know how to use apt/yum,
>    please go the documentation section. This page isn't for you."

Interesting idea...  (Links are there, but no language like your above
language).

> 2) A link to download.fedoralegacy.org, for people that simply want to
>    download updates manually by HTTP

There, but should be more obvious...

> 3) A list of full yum/apt repository configurations

Not sure what that means (how it differs from the mirror list files
for apt/yum on the mirrors page).

> 4) A list of mirrors to use instead of download.fedoralegacy.org

Is linked to from that page (as a separate mirror page).

> IMHO, the download page should be used by users who already know how to
> use yum/apt and just want to put the right repositories into their
> configuration. Anybody who'd be not be able to do that should follow the
> detailed documentation instead.

Yes.  But I like having the mirror page separate, if for no other reason
than to make it easier to update/automate/etc.

> I'd prefer not including instructions on how to download/install
> yum/apt. If a user doesn't have yum/apt he should use the howto-style
> documentation. The first paragraph should make this clear.

Okay, I can understand that.  (and it makes my life easy, so why not).

> Suggestion #1: Just link the _directory_ and tell the user to download
> the most current versions of yum/apt from there.

Yeah, that was the kind of thing I was leaning towards.

> Suggestion #2: As the pages are already written in PHP, why not include
> a conf.php which ships variables like...

Same problem of keeping the conf.php up to date.

> AFAIK, Jesse has an eye on this.

Jesse's got an eye on everything ;)

> --- cut ---
>
> If you're using apt, please add the line that matches your distribution
> to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

>From what Jesse told me, I thought there was some way to do this automagically
using the files he posted on the mirrors page???

> If you're using yum, please add the following blocks to your
> /etc/yum.conf (these work for all supported releases of Red Hat Linux):

The defaults are in our yum package, so we don't need to do this until
we have mirrors, no?

> If you are already using another repository for official Red Hat
> packages and updates, please note the following:
>
> - You only need one repository providing the "os" aka "base" channel. If
>   you already have a repository providing it, you may want to keep only
>   one. The contents of this channels will never change.
>
> - "updates" is the channel we're using for Fedora Legacy updates. If you
>   already have a repository providing a Red Hat "updates" channel, make
>   sure that you keep only the "updates" channel from us and remove that
>   channel from your other repository. Your former "updates" channel only
>   provided Red Hat official updates. YOUR SYSTEM WILL NOT RECEIVE LEGACY
>   UPDATES if you're using any other repository providing only official
>   Red Hat updates! You have been warned.

Now that info would be useful.

So, Jonas:  First, see the new pages I just updated.  Then, help improve them
with your changes above as you see fit.  (See what you get for expressing
an opinion? Now I expect you to do work...)

--
Eric Rostetter