Suggestion for a new Download page

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 5 20:19:48 UTC 2004

Quoting Todd <Freedom_Lover at pobox.com>:

> Sorry to only respond to one small part of this thread, I know there's
> a lot of other things being discussed here.  But just to point out
> that since yum configs are version independent, it's not necessary to
> say "Installing and using yum for Fedora Legacy with Red Hat Linux
> 7.2."  You can simply say "Installing and using yum for Fedora
> Legacy," can't you?

Yum configs are not independent (yum1 versus yum2) and the install
directions are different for different OS versions.  So, no.

> If a potential user can't or won't do a little thinking on their own
> and pick the proper version for their RH system, how much more hand
> holding can a few volunteers here do?

As much as is needed.

> The instructions on that page would tell you to grab yum for your RH
> version from download.fedoralegacy.org and then how to issue the
> commands to make it automatically update.

You've left out some steps.

> I suppose that technically, if someone wanted to, a shell script could
> be written that would go out and grab the latest yum and configure it
> for the user, sort of like what Ximian used to do (and still does, now
> that I look) with their gnome releases.  See an example here:
>
>     http://www.ximian.com/products/desktop/download.html

We can't even get the apt package QA tested, so there is little hope at
this stage we can get a custom installer written, tested, and documented.

> It seems to me that most -- if not all -- of the required info is
> already on the site thanks to Eric and Jonas (and all those who
> contributed ideas or other documentation).  But maybe I've not been
> following this thread closely enough to understand exactly what
> changes are being suggested.

Mostly it is about organization, but there has been some missing content
from time to time (like FAQ entries).

> If so, sorry for the interruption, I'll
> apt packages...

Yes, please try to find some time for those QA duties ;)  We really
need to get more people doing QA testing.

--
Eric Rostetter