jumpstarting yum on 7.2

g gmott at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 20 23:12:14 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 20:42, Eric Rostetter wrote:
> Quoting g <gmott at ntlworld.com>:
> > #  rpm -Uvh --nodeps /tmp/yum-* /tmp/rpm-* /tmp/popt-*
>
> You should not have to use --nodeps.  If you do, then something is wrong.

what is "wrong" is that i did not want to bother to manually download
gnorpm, kdeadmin, et al, which i did not need just to get yum going, and
which would get downloaded automatically anyway when i ran yum update.

> > #  yum update
> > .conflict between kernel-smp and bcm5820
> > conflict between kernel-debug and bcm5820
> > conflict between kernel and bcm5820
>
> That is, I guess, a real conflict, and not a problem yum or our docs can
> really address...
>
> > exclude=
>
> Be default it would exclude kernels, and hence your conflict above
> would not have happened (for better or for worse).

it does appear that the provided yum configuration, and the docs,
presume we don't want to update the kernel.  i realize this is also what
the default up2date configuration was.  even so, this is strange
thinking.  the updated kernel is essential if we're talking about
security.

> > Error: MD5 Signature check failed for /var/cache/yum/updates/packages/php-pgsql-4.1.2-7.2.6.i386.rpm
> > You may want to run yum clean or remove the file: /var/cache/yum/updates/packages/php-pgsql-4.1.2-7.2.6.i386.rpm
>
> Again, not a problem with yum or the docs, but perhaps a problem with
> the file in the repository you used.  You need to contact the repository
> owner about such problems.  It may be a corrupted file, or a file caught
> during an update of the repo, or a corruption of the download of the
> file from the site.

as the error message says, all that's necessary is to remove the file.
while it is possible that i collided (on 2 such occurrences) with a repo
update, i think it more likely that yum occationally simply fails to
completely download the files, probably due to lost packets or whatever.