yum and apt differences.

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 24 16:05:41 UTC 2004

Quoting Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at welho.com>:

>> Incidently, I was using FL-yum today and what I saw was:
>>
>> * It installs (not upgrades) the kernel in all cases
>> * If it finds grub, it makes the new kernel the default
>> * If it finds lilo, it fails to make the new kernel the default (at
>> least for
>> me)
>
> Sorry but I don't see how that's the "opposite" of what apt does, actually
> it's identical to what the FL-apt does in default configuration.

This was just an "incidently" mention of how yum works, since over the past
several days there was a discussion and many questions about whether kernels
where upgraded vs installed, and if they were set to default or not.  So
I was setting the record straight based on my observation after upgrading
a few dozen machines.

If indeed apt does the same, then that is great!  I was not trying in any
way to compare it to apt, or imply apt was different.

I guess the original thread split into multiple threads, and now I'm mixing
my answers back as one thread, which is perhaps confusing people.

> No surprises is good thing certainly, and I don't care one way or the
> another, just ask Jason and not me if the defaults need to be changed for
> FL-apt. It's just that I fail to see how's the behavior different from
> FL-yum :)

One defaults to not installing the kernel updates, the other defaults
to installing the kernel updates.  That is the difference, plain and
simple.

Shucks, let's just drop the whole thing.  Let's get apt published, different
or not.  I'll document the differences, and people can just deal with it.

I was just trying to see if we couldn't make them the same as it makes the
documentation easier, less FAQ hassle, etc.  But when it comes down to it,
we can handle FAQ chatter, and write more docs, and I'd rather have to
answer the same question constantly about apt or yum than to not have them
available for use while we endlessly debate trivial differences.

So, I'm ending the thread (as far as my input goes).  If anyone wants to
take up the cause, then great.  If not, let's get apt out the door, and
I'll just document all the quirks of using apt and yum.

--
Eric Rostetter