web site ammendments for yum

Jonas Pasche mail at jonaspasche.de
Tue Feb 3 22:44:00 UTC 2004

Hi there,

> > http://www.fedoralegacy.org/download/ doesn't appear to contain clear
> > instructions for how to use yum with fedora-legacy.
>
> Nor apt, nor without apt/yum, etc.

I really have conflicting feelings about the Download page. Fedora
Legacy isn't something to download; it is something to _use_, and the
howto-style documentation tells users how to use it. Therefore I plead
for turning the current Download page into a reference page that tells:

1) "If you are new to this stuff and don't know how to use apt/yum,
   please go the documentation section. This page isn't for you."

2) A link to download.fedoralegacy.org, for people that simply want to
   download updates manually by HTTP

3) A list of full yum/apt repository configurations

4) A list of mirrors to use instead of download.fedoralegacy.org

IMHO, the download page should be used by users who already know how to
use yum/apt and just want to put the right repositories into their
configuration. Anybody who'd be not be able to do that should follow the
detailed documentation instead.

I'd prefer not including instructions on how to download/install
yum/apt. If a user doesn't have yum/apt he should use the howto-style
documentation. The first paragraph should make this clear.

> I'm not sure how
> this will be done, as it could potentially grow into a large list that
> is hard to maintain if I list each separately.  So I may just make some
> kind of more generic link, or something...

Suggestion #1: Just link the _directory_ and tell the user to download
the most current versions of yum/apt from there.

Suggestion #2: As the pages are already written in PHP, why not include
a conf.php which ships variables like...

$current_yum_rh7_url
$current_apt_rh7_url
$current_yum_rh8_url
$current_apt_rh8_url

That would you'd always have a handy URL at your fingertips.

> We're still waiting for mirrors.  Until there is an official list of
> mirrors, that page is kind of pointless...  I assumed the list of mirrors
> would be available in a day or two after that page went up, so I linked
> it in.  But so far no mirror list has been provided...

AFAIK, Jesse has an eye on this.

For the repository listings (see above):

--- cut ---

If you're using apt, please add the line that matches your distribution
to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

Red Hat Linux 7.2:
rpm http://download.fedoralegacy.org/apt redhat/7.2/i386 os updates legacy-utils

Red Hat Linux 7.3:
rpm http://download.fedoralegacy.org/apt redhat/7.3/i386 os updates legacy-utils

Red Hat Linux 8.0:
rpm http://download.fedoralegacy.org/apt redhat/8.0/i386 os updates legacy-utils

If you're using yum, please add the following blocks to your
/etc/yum.conf (these work for all supported releases of Red Hat Linux):

[base]
name=Red Hat Linux $releasever base
baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/os/$basearch

[updates]
name=Red Hat Linux $releasever updates
baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch

[legacy-utils]
name=Fedora Legacy utilities for Red Hat Linux $releasever
baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/legacy-utils/$basearch

If you are already using another repository for official Red Hat
packages and updates, please note the following:

- You only need one repository providing the "os" aka "base" channel. If
  you already have a repository providing it, you may want to keep only
  one. The contents of this channels will never change.

- "updates" is the channel we're using for Fedora Legacy updates. If you
  already have a repository providing a Red Hat "updates" channel, make
  sure that you keep only the "updates" channel from us and remove that
  channel from your other repository. Your former "updates" channel only
  provided Red Hat official updates. YOUR SYSTEM WILL NOT RECEIVE LEGACY
  UPDATES if you're using any other repository providing only official
  Red Hat updates! You have been warned.

Jonas