Suggestion for a new Download page

Thomas Reinke lists at securityspace.com
Wed Feb 4 22:55:37 UTC 2004

Richard Morrell wrote:
> People are making this stuff FAR harder than it needs to be. There is
> already a tome of guidance online and if you can't figure it frankly you
> shouldn't be trusted with a terminal - its that basic. Yum isn't hard to
> figure nor should people using multiple RH OS's have issues between
> versions. Simply thank the FL crew smile and move on.

Perhaps a perspective from another admin might be in order here.
Having administered Linux systems since 1995, built numerous ones
from scratch, I have _some_ level of experience here.

The FedoraLegacy project is wonderful. It's filling a badly needed
hole.  And the manner in which it started off has made for a horrid
amount of confusion for those of us that were introduced to it
in the last couple months.  Most of these problems are all a direct
result of the start-up nature of the project.  But the sentiment
that those that can't figure it can't be trusted with a terminal
is painting a broad brush and missing two key points:

   1) Experienced people WILL have a hard time if they are just
      being introduced to yum. I certainly had a harder time of it
      trying to figure out exactly what the software requirements
      were, how to get RH7/8/9 working, and where to get the friggin
      RPMS from (in context that 8/9 aren't even available yet in
      legacy), and just trying to figure out what the difference
      was between fedora.us and fedoralegacy.org.

   2) Your user community consists of MORE than just experienced
      network admins.  It is moving towards a broader, less
      experienced customer base.  I dare say they deserve to keep
      their system up to date?

Eric nailed the point - the project needs improvements and
contributions (which I admit here and now I have not provided,
although we are looking at the option of providing mirroring
services as a way to contribute). But don't be surprised that
there are a few growing pains along the way.  Perhaps aim the
forehead at a wristpad buffer.  It'll hurt less than a hard
desktop ;-)

Jesse, Warren, Eric (and others I'm missing), keep up the
good work!

Cheers, Thomas