Suggestion for a new Download page

Jonas Pasche mail at jonaspasche.de
Wed Feb 4 23:48:46 UTC 2004

Hi Eric,

> I've updated the download, mirror, and documentation pages based on the
> mailing list commnets.

Regarding "Download":

After Raphael's feedback I'd still suggest to include the "Is this the
right place for you?" section of my proposal right on the top of the
page. Maybe you are able to find a better title for it.

I appreciate that you mention that apt/yum configuration can be found on
the mirrors page, but I would give this part a bit more strength, maybe
a separate subsection under "Installing packages". I think (and feedback
proved) that people are actually looking for these configuration
entries, and while appreciating to put them under Mirrors, from the
viewpoint of Joe Average I'd look under Download first.

There's a broken link where you link to the Mirrors page - it's
"/download/mirrors.php", not "/downloads/mirrors.php".

Regarding "Documentation":

For me it is absolutely enough that you created "Getting started..." and
"Getting involved..." sections. Should be enough for now. Good idea!

Regarding "Mirrors":

The warnings about the "updates" channel repository mixing problem
should be placed below the configuration files because they apply to apt
as well as to yum.

I would chose small caps for YUM and APT.

I still vote for copy+paste entries for apt's sources list ;-)
(the yum configuration file is just fine). The entries of the
mirrors.list file cannot be used through copy+paste; one has to delete
the commentary and has to prefix the repository lines with "rpm ".

If mirrors become available, what about providing a link to the
mirror-select.lua script, telling the users how to include it into their
configuration? This can also be put under Documentation, but should be
linked from the Mirrors page. I expect the lua script to be included in
our own apt packages, or isn't it..?

> I've also updated the participate page to include the "task list" idea.

Well done!

We should make clear the state of the entries that currently have a
state of "unknown". Anybody on the list, please help bringing the task
list up to date!

What about adding the names of the people who volunteered being
responsible for a specific task? It might help coordinating work and
provides contact persons for any people that might have input on a
specific topic.