Suggestion for a new Download page

Raphael Clifford raphael at clifford.net
Thu Feb 5 18:02:39 UTC 2004

i,

I should say straight off that there may be something fundamental about
yum that I don't understand.  I am getting the impression that you need
a special version of yum to use fedora-legacy and not just the correct
yum.conf with any old version of yum. Is this right?  I am using yum on
many different redhat machines, some with fedora-legacy and have never
knowingly got a special version but notwithstanding that piece of
ignorance here are my comments FWIW.

"

Which I read as a strong advise to give these documents better titles.
They actually are for people who don't know anything about apt/yum yet
and provides step-by-step information to them.

"

yes
"

Right, because yum isn't yet available for 8.0 (and in turn, apt isn't
yet available for 7.x), so we don't yet have anything to document. We
will add the according documentation as soon as these packages are
available.
"

I'm a little confused by that. I am using yum on redhat 8.0 with
fedora-legacy. I first updated rpm to the less broken version on
rpm.org.  Do you mean there isn't a downloadable yum rpm with yum.conf
preconfigured for fedora legacy?  There can be documentation for how to
use redhat 8.0 with fedora-legacy can't there? a) upgrade rpm b)
download yum from the yum home page (or get one with yum.conf for FL
already configured for you) c) (if needed) update yum.conf for FL .  I
would strongly suggest that any new docs tell people to upgrade rpm to a
less broken version as the version that comes with redhat 8.0 (at least)
is truely awful.

"
Right, because the Download page already contains it ;-)))

But I'm not sure what exactly you expect. Did you already read the yum
introduction for 7.x? Does it fit your needs, or doesn't it? What does
it miss? We're open to any suggestions.
"

It is the organisation of the information that I am keen to see
rationalised rather than the overall content of all the pages combined.
For me, documentation should contain all documentation or links to all
the documentation. It should also be readable by someone who doesn't
know what fedora-legacy, yum or apt are. I have read the 7.x page and it
is very good.  Any redhat 7.x user who finds that page and has a basic
idea what fedora-legacy and yum are will be happy.

"
from my point of view, the Download page is only for users that (1)
already have apt/yum installed and just want to use our repositories, or...
"

I think this is first thing I actually disagree with.  The download
section should surely help you download whatever you need to download.
For most people that will be yum/apt preconfigured.  A simple line to
the effect that "If you are just starting then please go here to get
everything preconfigured" would do of course on the download page if you
felt that was more appropriate but there should still be links to show
where to download yum and apt from as well IMHO.

---

Comments on http://jonaspasche.de/fedoralegacy/download.html

Overall it is very good looking.
-- Comments on the download page

I still feel that the basic documentation should be in the documentation
section (this doesn't mean anything has to be removed from the download
page). It is counter intuitive to have to follow a link via "Download"
to find the introductory docs on yum/apt. The Documentation page could
be renamed HOWTOs I suppose if we wanted to be all standard about things

I suggest for the documentation page the following (the titles are just
suggestive )

a) What is fedora-legacy?
b) What are these yum and apt things?
c) How do I get started?
(redhat 7.x, redhat 8.0, redhat 9 instructions)
d) What else is there to know?
e) How do I participate?

---

Comments on http://www.fedoralegacy.org/download/mirrors.php

It starts

"
Mirrors

Currently there are no mirror sites available. When mirror sites are
available, they will be listed here.

"

and then appears to go on to list some mirror sites (actually files but
would anyone know why the difference is important?).

Cheers,
Raphael
P.S.
http://www.fedoralegacy.org/downloads/mirrors.php should be