Suggestion for a new Download page

Todd Freedom_Lover at pobox.com
Thu Feb 5 22:47:35 UTC 2004

Jonas Pasche wrote:
>> What's the difference in the install instructions?  You run rpm,
>> import the keys to your gpg keyring, and optionally enable the yum
>> service.
>
> Choosing yum1 without rpm upgrade or yum2 with rpm upgrade would be
> the only difference, right.

I suppose.  But I might be missing something.  I'm still hoping that
either rpm doesn't get upgraded or that we decide to use the packages
from fedora.us and perhaps give them a much lighter round of QA, since
those packages have already gotten QA'd before.

The other option that looks interesting is to do as Panu suggested and
build apt to use the rpm404 libraries so it too avoides the buggy rpm
4.1 on RH 8.0.  That would sure save us all some time.

> Here's my proposal:
>
> http://jonaspasche.de/fedoralegacy/quickstart.html
>
> Basically it's a summary of the detailed instructions, leaving out
> anything an experienced user might regard as boring. What do you
> think about it?

That looks pretty good.  The only correction I'd make is replacing
comfort with comfortable in the first sentence.

> I have the strong feeling that writing a custom installer is
> _really_ oversized.

Yeah, I'd say so too.  I was pretty much joking.

> Hehe, I can understand this very well. However it's work that needs
> to done and shouldn't be too hard to do. We're all awaiting the apt
> release, but someone has to verify it. Please. Please!

It's on my list of things to do.  I have it installed on a 7.3 test
box and have done the preliminary verification of the source.  I'll
slowly get around to checking it out.  I won't be disappointed if it
gets enough PUBLISH votes to go to -testing before I finish though
(hint, hint Jesse :).

- --
The Constitution continues to remain no threat to our current form of
government.
    -- Joseph Sobran