Regarding QA

David Rees drees at greenhydrant.com
Thu Feb 5 23:08:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, February 5, 2004 at 2:55 pm, Jonas Pasche wrote:

> 2004-01-15
> David Rees <drees at greenhydrant.com>
> "I'd like to assist with the process of getting important security fixes
> QAd"
>
> @Jason, Charles, Christian, Todd, David, Troy, Jesse, Johnny, John: I
> don't know any of you personally, some of you through their postings. I
> don't have a clue what is needed to help you as I'm definitely no QA
> expert. I just have the strong feeling that "something" is missing,
> because nearly every second posting contains a phrase like "We need QA".
> So, here we are, having people willing to do QA, and having packages
> that need QA.

I've found that saying you'll do QA and then actually finding the time to
do it around other responsibilities are two totally different things.  ;-)
 I have managed to QA a few packages and have been meaning to get to apt,
but haven't found the time yet.

> I know that there's a "How to do QA" document still in the pipeline, but
> as I don't know anything on the QA process I still need help. I guess
> that at least a few of you have done QA before. Would you mind shouting
> "Here I am" to help the unexperienced with guidance and with answering
> questions?

Here I am!  BTW, there is a whole QA document on fedora.us which I found
helpful.  I also found that reviewing already QA'd bug reports to be
helpful as well.  It would be nice to see a whole step-by-step of what was
done by a QAer to QA a package, noting that the QA process can vary by
some amount depending on what's changed with a package.

> It would be a great help for the project if a few of you can review at
> least the apt package for 8.0 for now. We can step forward with the
> documentation for 8.0 then.

This is another holdback I'm sure for some users, is getting the
appropriate test systems as not all QA people may have access to all
systems supported by Legacy.  I know that I've been meaning to get UML
with RH 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 so I can QA all packages from one machine.
Having UML images of each distro would be helpful.

> I have the strong impression that we already did quite a lot of work
> that really rocks. Please help us continuing!

Definitely!  Especially considering the number people who are actively
involved.

-Dave