Regarding QA

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 6 02:23:05 UTC 2004

Quoting Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net>:

> So I have to ask again, is there really all that much need for 8.0
> support?

There is a need.  How much need is hard to say.  For example, I have a
single 8.0 server (plus a dual 8/9 devel machine, so I can support that
single 8.0 server).  So it is very important to me, until I can get that
server moved to 9 or FC or RHEL or something else...

>  Is there going to be any help for it?  Is there going to be
> anybody willing to VERIFY these packages once I put them into -testing?

Once I know *how* to verify them, I will verify anything that I use on
8.0.  Of course, I don't use them all, so I may not verify them all.

Jonas and I are working on QA docs (independently) so hopefully soon
we'll have docs for that.  But even then, I have work to do (create a
gpg signature, etc) that I must do before I can help with QA.  So far
I've been focusing on docs.  Only now are the docs getting to the point
were I can help, since I can now follow the docs to enable me to help.
This stuff (yum, gpg, etc) is all new to me, and holding me back from
the QA process...

> I hate to continue to push packages that have only gotten 7.2 and/or
> 7.3 QA, but no 8.0 QA, but at the same time, I hate holding back
> packages because nobody is willing to QA them on a crap platform.

Well, then you need to help those of us that need help getting up to
speed.  I think Jonas and I are working on web pages because we just
don't have much clue as to how to do QA and what have you...

I'm an admin.  I can do cvs, mail, nfs, smb, web, programs, etc.  But
I just don't know things like yum, gpg, and so on...  You need to either
use me where I can help (like setup cvs for the web, rsync for the web,
etc) or you need to help me to learn to do the rest (QA, etc).

Sorry to bitch, but from the start I've been hitting roadblocks when
I try to help, instead of people willing to help me get up to speed.
So, best I can do is help create the docs that will get me up to speed.
Once the docs are done for things like QA and apt and so on, I'll
definately help with those things...

--
Eric Rostetter