Suggestion for a new Download page

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 6 15:56:54 UTC 2004

Quoting Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at welho.com>:

> Step 2.1: after installation FL apt will prompt you to select a mirror
> site, want it or not. So it's not optional by any means. You don't

Changed.

> Step 3.2: "apt-get -f install" is about *fixing* a "broken" rpmdb,
> "apt-get check" checks for it's consistency. There's no need to run that
> under normal conditions, apt-get checks for the consistency anyway on
> each and every run and suggests running apt-get -f install if it finds
> unsatisfied dependencies. I'd suggest removing that step entirely.

Removed.

> Step 7:

Now Step 6.

> "servers specified in the /etc/apt/sources.list" is probably a bit
> confusing wrt "update" operation since there will be nothing in there by

Removed.

> default on FL apt, since the mirror-selector writes its entries into
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mirror-select.list. So you might want to mention
> the sources.list.d thingy as well.

Have no idea what that means.  So just removed the whole bit about
files.

> The description of "updgrade" is a bit backwards: "upgrade" operation
> will never, ever install any new packages or remove others, changed
> dependencies or not. It'll just not upgrade something with changed
> dependencies and on RHL that can be bad - see below.

Hmmm...  That's not what I've read/seen.  I've not changed this yet.
Can someone write up a new description for this command that is
correct for FL apt?

> Another thing: "dist-upgrade" is not a dangerous operation, really..

Okay, I'll trust you on that.

> to job. On RHL that's not the case - in fact you'll *have* to use
> dist-upgrade to get all errata installed: for example "timeconfig" was
> obsoleted by "redhat-config-time" within RHL 8.0 errata.

So should we be telling them to use dist-upgrade instead of upgrade in
the instructions?  Since we probably want them to get all the updates
including updates which obsolete others, no?

--
Eric Rostetter