Self-Introduction: Eric Jon Rostetter

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 6 17:00:17 UTC 2004

1. Full legal name

   Eric Jon Rostetter

2. Country, City

    Austin, Texas, USA

3. Profession or Student status

   Computer Programmer, Full Time

4. Company or School

   Department of Physics, The University of Texas at Austin

5. Your goals in the Fedora Legacy Project

   * To see it succeed!
   * To be able to support my legacy RHL machines (7.2, 7.3, 8.0, 9)
   * Will do QA for packages I use on OS versions I have available, as
     time permits, once I learn how ;)

6. Historical qualifications

   # What other projects have you worked on in the past?

   Well, back in the old days (80's) when PDP-11's and VAX-11's ruled the
   earth, I used to be involved in a lot of RSTS/RSX-11/RT-11/VMS projects
   and ports like the NBS Pascal compiler, Minitab (PDP/VAX ports), VMS TED/SED
   editor, etc. (Under the tutelage of the late, great Brian Nelson at The
   University of Toledo).  But then as the 90's came, UToledo found
   it cheaper to buy packages then create them, so I became an ordinary admin.

   When UToledo went under back in 1998/1999, I moved to the "other UT";
   The University of Texas at Austin.  Here I'm the sysadmin for the Dept.
   of Physics (Linux, AIX, OpenVMS mainly), provide their needed services
   (web, e-mail, nfs, etc) and am the sysadmin and now new programmer
   for the UT Homework Service (online homework, quiz, exams, grading, etc.
   open to the world for free).  I've participated heavily in a few open
   source projects such as The Horde Project (www.horde.org) since moving
   to Austin.  I'm an authorized certificate authority for UT Austin for
   Thawte certificates (mean I can create/approve/revoke/etc. Thawte
   certificates for all of UT Austin) which implies some trust level afforded
   my by the University itself (outside my department) and by Thawte.

   # What computer languages and other skills do you know?

   Can admin AIX, VMS, Linux, etc.  Program in C, FORTRAN, Pascal, Perl,
   shell scripting, etc.  Do xml/xslt, (x)html, php, javascript, etc.  Run
   web sites, e-mail servers, NFS, NIS, SQL databases, etc.  Can build RPMs
   and do other Red Hat Linux type stuff.

   # What computer languages and other skills do you lack?  (Made this up)

   I apparently lack any clue about today's hot trends like gpg, wiki,
   irc, IM, and the lot.  I'm a dinosaur...

   # Why should we trust you?

   You probably shouldn't yet. ;) But, I do have trust within groups like
   horde.org, and do have trust within UToledo, UT Austin, and Thawte.com.
   Other than that, no real reason.  I'll earn my trust (or lack of trust)
   here by hard work here.

7. GPG KEYID and fingerprint

pub  1024D/49C7A0F2 2004-02-06 Eric Jon Rostetter <rostetter at mail.utexas.edu>
     Key fingerprint = E4E7 E674 2BCA 14CC 54CF  13C9 E236 516E 49C7 A0F2
sub  1024g/BBFD8C0C 2004-02-06

--
Eric Rostetter