yum and apt differences.

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Tue Feb 24 07:44:57 UTC 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Eric Rostetter wrote:

> Quoting Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at welho.com>:
>
> > The matter is a bit different on RHL 7.x since there it's indeed messing
> > with roots gpg keyring (doesn't have to be that way, you could just as
> > well make the gpg-checker script import to alternate keyring and check
> > from there), on rpm >= 4.1 the keys get imported into rpmdb.
>
> Good point, which I once knew and then forgot about.  Thanks for pointing
> that out again.
>
> >> Sure they do.  I install apt, run it, and it messes with my root user's
> >> key ring.  It doesn't even tell me what it is doing to it, just that it
> >> is changing it.  At least I'd like to know what it is doing, if it's
> >> going to do anything at all.
> >
> > See above, also no reason why you couldn't make that interactive...
>
> Actually, I'd settle for it just telling me what it is doing, but asking
> me if I wanted it to do it would be even better.

IIRC the reason I made it automated in the script instead of being
interactive was that if it's interactive, synaptic just plain hangs while
waiting for output in terminal which doesn't exist. That could be avoided
with synaptic >= 0.47 though (synaptic now allows detection which one is
running)

> > First people complain about apt not upgrading kernels and when it finally
> > does people complain about that :)
>
> True.  But note that we're talking about the default setting, and not
> the capability.
>
> > Fedoralegacy apt is yours to configure
> > as you please, just ship with different defaults than fedora.us apt if
> > these things bother you:
>
> What bothers me, I suppose, is that it FL-apt is acting the opposite
> of FL-yum.  I'd rather, for what ever reason, see them act the same
> as much as possible.
>
> > I had a discussion about this with Seth a while ago on IRC and agreed that
> > for most new(ish) users it's probably the right thing to do (upgrade
> > kernel, make it default)
>
> Incidently, I was using FL-yum today and what I saw was:
>
> * It installs (not upgrades) the kernel in all cases
> * If it finds grub, it makes the new kernel the default
> * If it finds lilo, it fails to make the new kernel the default (at least for
> me)

Sorry but I don't see how that's the "opposite" of what apt does, actually
it's identical to what the FL-apt does in default configuration.

> > experienced admins and such can change the
> > default settings as they please (eg on server you might not want that
> > automated kernel update or making it default)
>
> My view is the FL was to provide no surprises from previous RHL behaviour.
> Previous RHL behaviour in up2date was to not update kernels by default.
> So to provide no surprises, we would not update kernels by default.
>
> I'm flexible though.  I only brought it up because I noticed that apt
> and yum acted differently, not because I really care that much if the
> kernel gets updated or not.

No surprises is good thing certainly, and I don't care one way or the
another, just ask Jason and not me if the defaults need to be changed for
FL-apt. It's just that I fail to see how's the behavior different from
FL-yum :)

	- Panu -