Preparing 7.2 and 7.3 now...

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jan 1 11:31:59 UTC 2004

I am currently populating the 7.2 and 7.3 fedora.us repositories.  I am
only putting the binary RPMS and not SRPMS from Red Hat into these
repositories in order to save on space and reduce the burden on
fedora.us mirrors.  If you really need the SRPMS from Red Hat, get them
from any of the thousand existing mirrors.

http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraChannels
As I have wrote here, RH 7.2 and 7.3 at fedora.us will have the
following channels:

os		Base Distribution
updates		RH updates + Legacy updates
updates-testing	Legacy updates undergoing regression testing
stable		Very limited number of add-on packages

Fedora Legacy users should use minimally os, updates, and stable
channels.  If you want to participate in testing of candidate updates,
then also subscribe to updates-testing channel.

stable channel will contain mainly support utilities from fedora.us and
Legacy like apt, yum, and fedora-rpmdevtools.  We can also consider
adding other safe and simple server support tools only by consensus.  I
would suggest these packages that are already in fedora.us stable for
inclusion:

bonnie++		Very useful stability test for servers
chkrootkit		Security checking for servers
ddrescue		Data recovery for servers
hardlink		Space consolidation for mirror servers
iptstate		Very simple Netfilter stateful top [1]

Any other suggestions for simple server support tools?
I would suggest against expanding the scope beyond this for Legacy's
support of these older distributions.

After I am done copying packages into the repository, there is only one
thing blocking the launch of Legacy for RH7.2 and RH7.3:  We need
maintainers for apt and/or yum clients for these older distributions.
You must submit your packages to fedora.us QA just like any other
package currently in the QA queue.  Use keywords like "rh72, QA,
stable".  It seems that we agreed to NOT upgrade RPM for RH7.x, so apt
and yum-1.x are what we will be using.

Panu & Seth can we ask for your help here, or do you want others to do
it?  Let me know if you need ssh access to 7.2 or 7.3 boxes to test your
clients.  Damn I need to install that old distro...

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com

[1]
iptstate may be improper to add if testing shows a certain memory leak
during extended operation.  Debian refused to add iptstate for a long
time because an older version of curses leaked memory.  They never did
figure out what was causing it, but suddenly that problem just went away
with a newer version of curses and they accepted iptstate.  I have NEVER
SEEN THIS PROBLEM on any Red Hat Linux, but we should test the older
curses just to be safe.