Legacy RPM Upgrade Guide

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jan 1 20:52:29 UTC 2004

Charles R. Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 03:31:01AM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> >
>>Read the page.  I think I have found a solution to the RPM upgrade
>>problem.  You CAN avoid upgrading RPM and still use Fedora Legacy
>>updates.  Is everyone okay with this solution?
>

> Looks great to me.  I suggest you add up2date (and maybe gnorpm) to
> the list of programs that should not be running.
>
> For the RPM Deadlock Recovery, I have always been told by jbj that you
> should run --rebuilddb, and he says it here too:
>
> http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/repairdb/

I think the --rebuilddb recommendation is outdated, and this page is by
  Russ Herrold and not jbj.  I recall reading something by jbj saying
that --rebuilddb is not needed, and this is confirmed by my own
experience of NEVER NEEDING IT THROUGH RH8 - FC1.  The last time I used
it by necessity was RH7.3.  YMMV...

In any case we should check with jbj about this.

Warren