fedora-l] Re: RPM upgrade discussion

Christian Pearce pearcec at commnav.com
Fri Jan 2 15:43:44 UTC 2004

Personally I think this is great.  It seems to me we are cleaning up a problem Red Hat should have taken steps to correct.  Maybe they decided keep it this way for reason not known to me.  But then again I didn't read all the bugs entries about this.

I am a little confused as to the solution.

7.x isn't going to have to upgrade.  This makes sense because they are stable.  I am also taking this to mean they are only able to use older version of apt and yum.  Doesn't this create a restriction of the how the channels are used?  I am new to apt and yum.  But I plan on using one or the other.

FedoraLegacy is recommending an upgrade to the resigned rpm.org package 4.1 (whatever the correct version).  But if you don't they you can still use the all channels accept Legacy.  Is this because it contains apt and yum with compiled against the newer version of rpm?

I think this needs to be explained a little better in the RPMUpgrade Wiki page.  I think new users will want to know the reasons and details why.  I am willing to go with the flow.  But in a lot of cases I still want to understand why.  Other than that I think the RPMUpgrade Wiki page is good.

I am with you on this Warren, I think it is laughable to think users would want to suffer through deadlocks.

BTW: download.fedora.us doesn't appear to be functioning.  I guess someone is upgrading.

--
Christian Pearce
http://www.commnav.com