Unneeded assertions (supposed to have been: RPM upgrade discussion)

Ingo T. Storm ingo at auroralinux.org
Sat Jan 3 10:17:01 UTC 2004

>The "RPM stale locks" problem is a serious issue for the average
>user despite the "rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.*" work-around
>being available.

I don't think that many "average users" will use FedoraLegacy. They are
probably on FC1, Suse, Gentoo, Debian, you-name-it by now. rh7x is legacy,
isn't it?

Add to that that I seem to be doing completely different things with my rpm
databases. I maintain some 40 boxes running rh72 (i386 and axp) and rh73
(i386 and Aurora). I use upd2ate against a current server to keep them
patched, so they run rpm at least once a day (up2date -l in cron.daily) and
I haven't seen rpm deadlock since the early Aurora days.

I thus (again) strongly vote that the rpm upgrade should not be mandatory
for rh7x.

Thanks,
Ingo