Primary Legacy distribution (was: Re: apt/yum configuration?)

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Mon Jan 5 15:12:44 UTC 2004

seth vidal wrote :

> I can't speak for apt, but the yum in fedora legacy is identical to the
> yum at freshrpms.net except for the default config file entries.
>
> I dunno how much that's worth, but I don't think there are any real
> requirements on yum from fedora legacy that have anything to do with
> fedora.us

Well, partly it doesn't but partly it does (it seems to me after some weeks
of absence) : It looks like it was decided to include/merge all the legacy
packages into the download.fedora.us tree (btw, the link on the
www.fedoralegacy.org web page is missing http://), so the recommended apt
and yum packages for using "Fedora Legacy" will in fact be downloaded from
fedora.us, although in the "legacy" module, but IMHO this might still be
confusing to users. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

I would have really preferred to have all the packages produced by the
Fedora Legacy project primarily distributed in a simple tree, similar to
the existing Red Hat one, and preferably from a fedoralegacy.org host :

/pub/fedoralegacy/redhat/<version>/<arch>/*.rpm

With eventually variations in the tree, like adding "linux" for consistency
with the Red Hat trees or inserting "updates" at one point. Anyone could
then easily sync the files and include them in their apt, yum or whatever
modules (say at fedora.us, freshrpms.net, inside a local Red Hat Linux
mirror etc.).
Maybe this is done, but is seems not, as I understand fedora.us will
probably become Fedora Legacy... but before that, fedora.us is going to
become Fedora Extras... confused enough yet? :-/

Matthias

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
Load : 0.82 0.72 0.73