Primary Legacy distribution (was: Re: apt/yum configuration?)

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Mon Jan 5 15:55:35 UTC 2004

seth vidal wrote :

> > Well, partly it doesn't but partly it does (it seems to me after some
> > weeks of absence) : It looks like it was decided to include/merge all
> > the legacy packages into the download.fedora.us tree (btw, the link on
> > the www.fedoralegacy.org web page is missing http://), so the
> > recommended apt and yum packages for using "Fedora Legacy" will in fact
> > be downloaded from fedora.us, although in the "legacy" module, but IMHO
> > this might still be confusing to users. Please do correct me if I'm
> > wrong.
>
> You see, now I'm confused :)
>
> I thought all the legacy stuff was just:
>
> http://download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/$releasever/i386/RPMS.legacy/
>
> So all someone needs to do is add that to their yum.conf as a baseurl
> and they get the packages in there.
>
> does that explain it or am I out in left field.

Well, you're right, but in order to have all the Legacy packages mirrored
for the various supported distributions, and without mirroring all the
other fedora.us packages, things won't be as easy as they could be.

>From what I had understood initially, many people (including me) expected a
clean and simple way to fetch the packages and merge them with (or include
them alongside) the no-longer-updated official updates, and unless I'm
mistaken, it's unfortunately not currently the case.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
Load : 1.08 1.22 1.16