screen buffer overflow

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed Jan 7 17:33:07 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 20:22, Jason wrote:
> The 7.3 rpms work for me.. I don't have a 7.2 box available to test
> that one.
>
> The default in 7.3 is to not suid the screen binary, so I think we're
> safe from privilege escalation (unless the user does it of their own
> volition).  But, I am a bit concerned with the idea that someone
> could hijack my screen session.  So, is this a patch we want to push?
> If so, we should patch the RH8 rpms as well.  RH hasn't yet released
> a patch for 9, though it has a vulnerable version.

Since I use screen daily on a 7.3 box, this is a fairly important one to
me.  I'd like to see it fixed for 8 as well.  Hopefully I'll have a 7.2
box up to test tonight although it may have to wait for a harddrive ):

Do you have a way of testing the overflow, or are we just testing
functionality of screen once this patch is added?

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: