Backporting policy

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 8 01:37:59 UTC 2004

Quoting Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net>:

> Backporting has been the goal since day 1 for previous RHL releases.  FC

Yes, and should stay that way.  There are exceptions, but these should be
very few...

> releases is still in the air.  RH will not focus so much on backports
> for FC updates, rather they'll go the route of new packages.  How
> should Legacy respond to this?

They should backport as much as possible, but at the point that it becomes
too much of a burden to backport then an update would be appropriate.  For
RHL, the backport is paramount, even if it means a lot of work to do so.
For Fedora, we should consider the amount of work to backport versus the
stability of an upgrade, and pick which way to go based on the ratio of
work to stability.

--
Eric Rostetter