Update Announcement Format discussion

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Jan 12 09:13:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Chuck Wolber wrote:
> > Agreed.  We can just assign the numbers on First Come - First Served
> > basis just before sending the announcements, right?
>
> Well that plan sure does scream "race condition"...

Yep! But it's a controlled race condition :)

> and I'm sure as heck
> not going to volunteer to "hand out" numbers upon request...

The point would be that if the announcements are all sent (and signed)
by one person, or a small group of persons, the ID number could be
left empty until just a moment before the announcement is sent (and
stored).  No race condition then, except within the head of the one
person (or a small group of persons).

But if the assumption is that whoever did the backport would sent the
announcement him/herself (IMHO, this sounds a bit problematic), this
would obviously not work..