Update Announcement Format discussion

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Mon Jan 12 10:20:45 UTC 2004

> The point would be that if the announcements are all sent (and signed)
> by one person, or a small group of persons, the ID number could be left
> empty until just a moment before the announcement is sent (and stored).
> No race condition then, except within the head of the one person (or a
> small group of persons).

But that's the thing I'm getting at. It's incredibly easy to create a web
form that looks like a fill-in-the-blanks template. Rather than having to
resort to some hacked XML format (which would never work with humans at
the helm), a form template would allow us to  1) separate out the data
segments so they're individually searchable,  2) ensure that everything
is consistently formatted and  3) Numbering would be immutably accurate.

> But if the assumption is that whoever did the backport would sent the
> announcement him/herself (IMHO, this sounds a bit problematic), this
> would obviously not work..

Right, and I'd say that is a bad assumption for a number of reasons, but I
think we're in agreement, so I'll say-no-more...

-Chuck

--
 http://www.quantumlinux.com
 Quantum Linux Laboratories, LLC.

 "The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply
  social values more noble than mere monetary profit." - FDR