Legacy mirror structure

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Jan 19 16:10:39 UTC 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 03:11, Matthias Saou wrote:
> I guess there is a typo for SRPMS/updates-testing where
> s/SRPMS/$basearch/.

yeah.

> > where each subdir of $basearch has a directory RPMS, and a symlink
> > SRPMS, which points to the correct ../../SRPMS/foo dir.  Given the 7.3
> > release, i386 arch, and the "updates" dir we would have:
> >
> > download.fedoralegacy.org/legacy/7.3/i386/updates/RPMS
> > download.fedoralegacy.org/legacy/7.3/i386/updates/SRPMS->../../SRPMS/u
> >pd ates
>
> Are these SRPMS symlinks really useful? Why not this instead :
> $releasever/{base,updates,..}/{$basearch,SRPMS}/*.rpm
> Just a thought.

My concern is that the same SRPMS are used for all arches.  Its not a
concern when dealing with JUST i386, but starting with fedora core 1,
we'll have x86_64 to deal with, and possibly ppc in the future.  Instead
of duplicating all the SRPMS across all the arches, I chose to maintain a
single SRPM directory, above the basearch.

> [...]
>
> > Thoughts?
>
> Yes, one more important one : As it is planned to support at least some
> Fedora Core releases later on, the information about "redhat" vs.
> "fedora" should appear somewhere, otherwise there will clearly be a
> scalability problem once Fedora Core 9 needs to be supported ;-) I'd
> suggest :
>
> /legacy/{redhat,fedora}/$releasever/...
>
> Also, for the ftp/rsync accessible structure, having the leading
> /legacy/ part of the path is a good thing (as /pub/legacy for ftp and as
> a "legacy" rsync module for instance), but for http it's quite redundant
> with the virtual host name, and could be removed for purely cosmetic and
> line length considerations.

Good suggestion.

> In the end, my final suggestion would be :
>
> http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/base/$basearch
> http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/base/SRPMS
> http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch
> http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch
> http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates-testing/$bas
>earch
> http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates-testing/SRPM
> http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/legacy-addons/$basea
>rch
> http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/legacy-addons/SRPMS
>
> With "redhat" substituted for "fedora" when the time will come.
>
> Matthias

I wish to use something close to that, but maintain my SRPM links for
multiarch space concerns.

http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/updates/RPMS
http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/updates/SRPMS->../../updates/SRPMS

- --