Final(?) Fedora Legacy Mirror Layout

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Jan 20 20:34:38 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 12:34, Warren Togami wrote:
> I cannot say that I like the location of the SRPMS.  In this far off
> location it cannot take advantage of native repository handling with
> apt's native genbasedir.  It is also more difficult to browse it in
> relation to the binary RPMS built from it.

*grumble* can't have it both ways.  People want it out of the repot
target, you want it in or gone completely, I'm unwilling to give it up.
I had hoped that we could have a compromise with what I set up.  It's
far enough removed that anybody that doesn't want to sync it doesn't
have to sync it, yet it's there for those of us that care about it.

> Also it might make it easier to exclude all SRPMS with a single
> --exclude line in rsync, but this is usually not what mirror admins
> want.  They would rather exclude only the os component and keep the
> rest.  This would be easier and more intuitive if there is a SRPMS
> directory at the same level of each $basearch for each repository.

And then we get into duplicating the SRPMS, as the SRPMS are the same
across the $basearches.  Why duplicate?

> Also if you intend on keeping RH's massive amount of existing
> "updates" SRPMS, there is no way of excluding those only.

no there isn't.  I can't make things perfect.  There is no perfect.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: