Final(?) Fedora Legacy Mirror Layout

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Jan 21 15:36:05 UTC 2004

Ingo T. Storm wrote :

> > > http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.2/updates/i386/
> > > http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.2/updates/SRPMS/
>
> Please forgive me if this question is really stupid: I understand that
> i386 is a "$basearch" here, but is it really intentional that you have
> e.g. i686 and noarch packages in a directory "i386"?

That's typically the difference between "arch" and "basearch". If the
structure had been divided per "arch" instead of "basearch", it would have
made things unnecessarily complex for updates tools (and users) as someone
with an i686 machine would have needed to configure his tool to fetch
"i386", "i686" and "noarch".
Think of the current Red Hat Linux "updates" tree where you need to fetch
your i686 kernel in one directory, and the corresponding kernel-source in
another.

It's much easier to split per "basearch" and just put all x86 packages in
"i386" and hardlink "noarch" binary packages across all directories.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux kernel 2.4.22-1.2163.nptl
Load : 0.17 0.12 0.25