Proposal: Optional libsafe add-on?

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 22 16:31:32 UTC 2004

Quoting Warren Togami <warren at togami.com>:

> 1) How important is cal to servers?  In all of my experience I didn't
> even know it existed until now... unless is it used in some system
> scripts or something?

Shouldn't matter.  While the FL focus is on servers, we shouldn't limit
it to what we consider server-worthy.  See the previous thread about
people using mp3 programs on their servers to find out why.

I think FL will suffer or die if we take a strict "servers don't use XXX
so we don't need to worry about XXX" approach.

> 2) Those who chose to use libsafe should do so only after reading the
> page describing what it does, and the potential risk.  The web page
> would say very clearly that the server admin should TEST all of their
> software and keep an eye out for strange behavior rather than install
> libsafe and trust that it works.

This I agree with.  If we want to release it with a warning about the possible
problems, then fine.

--
Eric Rostetter