yum and rpm updates for 8.0

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Jan 28 19:37:49 UTC 2004

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2004 09:35, Rick Johnson wrote:
>
>>This was posted 1/26 - any update on the Yum release?
>

> Ran into a snag when discussing the rpm upgrade for 8.0.  I've agreed to
> once again put the rpm upgrade from rpm.org in the 8.0 legacy-utils,
> but this leads to a yum question.  I do believe yum2.x works with the
> upgraded rpm, but not with the stock RPM.  The stock RPM will need yum
> 1.x, so we have to roll out 2x yums.  (can somebody correct me if I'm
> wrong here?)

http://www.fedora.us/wiki/LegacyRPMUpgrade
Users need to follow this guide in order to safely manually upgrade
their rpm anyway, so have this as part of the Newbie HOWTO when they
begin to use Legacy on RH8 and RH9.  Upgrade rpm manually, install
yum-2.x or apt and they are good to go.

This avoids the need to QA and distribute a yum-1.x.  Yes yum-1.x would
avoid the deadlock issues because it uses the rpm-4.0.4 bindings, but it
  that does not avoid these issues for rpm itself.

(And for those of you who are alarmed, just as we discussed earlier on
this list, you are NOT BEING FORCED TO UPGRADE RPM.  Just avoid the
"legacy-utils" channel and use only the "updates" channel if you want to
avoid upgrading rpm.)

> Also, I had to finish up some work on a chapter I'm writing for an
> upcoming book last night and I didn't get any free time to make that
> rpm build.

I would not bother rebuilding rpm.  Instead I would take jbj's rpm-4.1.1
binaries and use rpm-4.2.x to resign them (replaces his signature with
yours).  We know have all these 9+ months that his binaries work.

Warren