yum and rpm updates for 8.0

Jason Lim maillist at jasonlim.com
Thu Jan 29 16:49:47 UTC 2004

> On Thursday 29 January 2004 08:09, Eric Rostetter wrote:
> > > If it works, don't touch it, even if it is slightly buggy.
> >
> > Doesn't work.  More than slightly buggy.
>
> Ah but it does work perfectly fine if you use yum as a frontend to your
rpm
> (which I had been doing w/out realizing that this avoided the lock bug.
> thought that it was just a bunch of hype over the bug).  Since yum
> interacts with an older library, these issues were avoided.  Yum can
> install, upgrade, and remove (with deps) packages, so I hadn't touched
the
> rpm command in a while.

If that is the case (that yum 1.x works around whatever bug is in rpm)
then isn't rolling yum 1.x the logical path, rather than issuing
non-essential upgrades for rpm? I suppose some people will want to upgrade
rpm anyway, and they should have the choice, but this choice should not be
mandatory imho.