web site updates

Todd Freedom_Lover at pobox.com
Fri Jan 30 03:30:13 UTC 2004

Eric Rostetter wrote:
> Just an FYI, there have neen numerous updates to the web site
> lately, so if you haven't checked it out for a while you might want
> to do so now.

Very good work to all the folks who've helped create all the content.
I have a suggestion that might help defer some questions when people
start using yum.  This would go on the documentation page for using
yum with 7.x[1]

Somewhere between Step 1. Install yum and Step 2. Update the packages,
there should be instructions to either add the Fedora Legacy and Red
Hat RPM GPG keys to root's keyring or to disable the gpgcheck option
in yum.conf.  Otherwise, the user will get an error when they run yum
update and will end up here asking questions or looking elsewhere for
their updates.

The instructions should be pretty simple, here's a stab at them.  I'd
put this in Step 1 along with installing yum, unless you web writers
feel it should be its own separate step.

Add the GPG keys used to sign packages to root's keyring.  These keys
are installed with the yum documentation.

# gpg --import /usr/share/doc/yum-1.0.3/*GPG-KEY

Note: If you've never used gpg before as root, you will need to run
the command again so that gpg can read it's newly created options
file.

You may also want to verify that the GPG fingerprints of these keys
match those that are published by each vendor.

Red Hat: https://www.redhat.com/security/keys.html
Fedora: ???
Fedora Legacy: http://www.fedoralegacy.org/about/security.php

Of these keys, only the Red Hat site has the key fingerprints included
on the website.  I think that Fedora Legacy should add this info to
the page cited above.

I'm also curious about the Fedora.us key.  It's included in the yum
rpm, but AFAIK, none of the packages distributed by Fedora Legacy are
signed by the Fedora.us key.  Is it worth it to even distribute that
key?  It might just confuse a new user.  Anyone that's looking to also
get content from fedora.us should know how to add that key anyway.  It
is listed right on the fedora.us home page, so it's not hard to
locate.  Though again, I don't see the key fingerprint on the site.

[1] http://www.fedoralegacy.org/docs/yum-rh7x.php

- --
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
    -- Steven Wright