yum dependencies on 7.x

Jonas Pasche mail at jonaspasche.de
Fri Jan 30 13:33:25 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I fear I have left out an important point on the 7.x instructions: Does
the system meet all of yum's requirements? I'm not sure if the
rpm-python package is installed by default in all setups. I guess gnupg
is, but the user may have erased it for some unknown reason. So before
installing yum we should include a section like "Preparing your system",
for which I have the following suggestion:

--- cut here ---

0. Prepare your system [or "1.", and renumber the following steps]

Besides rpm itself, yum depends on the gnupg, python and rpm-python
packages. Please check if all the packages are available through
executing as root:

rpm -q gnupg python rpm rpm-python

rpm will output the package versions, or "...is not installed" if you're
missing any of these packages. If all packages are installed, just
continue with step 1 [or 2 when renumbering]. If you're missing
packages, you have to install them before you can proceed.

Red Hat Linux 7.2:

Are you missing rpm-python, but still running rpm 4.0.3? Then please
upgrade your rpm package first (if you already have rpm-python and just
need gnupg and/or python, you can simply skip this step; later yum will
automatically care for possibly needed updates):

rpm -Uvh http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.2/updates/i386/rpm-4.0.4-7x.i386.rpm

Now install any of these packages that you're missing:

rpm -ivh http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.2/updates/i386/gnupg-1.0.7-13.i386.rpm
rpm -ivh http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.2/updates/i386/python-1.5.2-43.72.i386.rpm
rpm -ivh http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.2/updates/i386/rpm-python-4.0.4-7x.i386.rpm

Red Hat Linux 7.3:

Install any of these packages that you're missing:

rpm -ivh http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.3/updates/i386/gnupg-1.0.7-13.i386.rpm
rpm -ivh http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.3/updates/i386/python-1.5.2-43.73.i386.rpm
rpm -ivh http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.3/os/i386/rpm-python-4.0.4-7x.18.i386.rpm

Doesn't that look like a mess? Don't worry, this should have been the
last time you did this manually. yum will automatically retrieve and
install the newest packages with all dependencies with a single call.

--- cut here ---

Feedback is welcome...

Jonas