perl-libwww-perl oddity

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 04:04:22 UTC 2004

This is really meant more as an FYI, but I am also interested in knowing
if anyone has seen this same issue.

I have multiple RH7.3 servers that are kept updated as expected.  Today,
while doing a box-by-box comparison, I noticed that one box had an older
version of /usr/bin/GET which is "owned" by libwww-perl (rpm -qf
/usr/bin/GET)

The older file (v1.39) from box A is dated 14-Aug-2002 and is 14363
bytes.  The one on box B (v1.40) is dated 27-Jul-2004 and is 14360
bytes.  BOTH boxes report the file is owned by perl-libwww-perl-5.63-9.

The only difference between these files (other than version number) is
this one line which is used to detect bad URLs:

v1.40 -->    $@ =~ s/ at .* line \d+.*//;

v1.39 -->    $@ =~ s/at\s+\S+\s+line\s\d+//;

So, somewhere over the years, while trying to keep these boxes updated,
something didn't go smoothly.

-Jim P.