RH 9 EOL Updates ISOs

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Mon Jun 7 11:33:08 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 19:50, Mike Vanecek wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 15:34:21 +0100, Jon Peatfield wrote
> > >
> > > I did something similar for RedHat 7.3 at its EOL.  The frustrating
> > > thing (as a former RedHat mirror admin) is that RedHat doesn't really
> > > have a policy for removing superseded errata from the updates tree.
> > > Upon request, they've periodically purged the updates tree of old RPMs,
> > > but even RedHat 9 still has duplicate packages.  Once they do that, it
> > > doesn't seem too difficult to produce an ISO (or two).
> >
> > I make use of a handy repostory maintenance script (rh_buildtree
> > written by Peter Benie who works in a different department here),
> > which given a set of directories full of rpms constructs/maintains a
> > directory which contains the latest version of all those packages
> > which pass a signature-check (as hard-links to whichever source they
> > were from -- original shipped version, updates, local-packages etc).
>
> Interesting. I finally just downloaded all the updates and put them on a CD. I
> did have to do some editing to get rid of the old duplicate RPMS (moved them
> to a folder by themselves).

Have you (and other folks) checked out the RedHat-CD-HOWTO? It contains
detailed instructions for using the anaconda-runtime package to generate
your own CD's (and/or network installation source tree) including errata
packages. I've done this for 7.x through 9 in the past and it works very
well.

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE