Proposal for management of supported releases, was: Re: 8.0 packages to QA

Carlos Villegas villegas at math.gatech.edu
Mon Jun 7 14:10:29 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:27:56AM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> Easy solution: remove 7.2 and 8.0 from the (claimed) supported list.

I think there is a better solution, I believe someone alredy
proposed it, after some though I think is a good solution:
release the updates for different distributions independently,
the reason I think this is a good solution is because in the
(far?) future the interest for say RHL9 might die out, and then
the same problem will happen (one release holding out the others,
and then some discussion between the few remaining trying to keep
it alive). It also makes it easier to "single out" releases for
discarding (or not) depending on the number of updates that
actually make it out per release. It also enables a "pseudo
support" for those unsupported releases in the fashion of
something like the following sentence in an advisory for that
version: "recompiling the srpm for RH9 might work, but it
might not, it is not guaranteed or tested or supported by the FL
community..." (for example for RH 8), although I agree with Jesse
that that is a bad idea (pseudo support), but maybe the
interested people in the updates will use them or decide to test
them and revive the support for it ?.

Usual disclaimer: I have no interest on the 7.2 or 8.0 (or 7.3)
releases.

Carlos