RH 7.2 from scratch cd install to completly updated system.

Kevin Brouelette kevin1a at varlog.net
Wed Jun 16 05:43:18 UTC 2004

Hello,

I was testing a fresh RH 7.2 install from cdrom
and wanted to automate the yum update process to get
to a fully updated server.

Using the website documentation I had many dependency issues that
are not addressed there.

This script takes care of the dependency
problems that are not yet addressed in the website documentation for 7.2
after a fresh install.

After running the script it is recommended that you
edit yum.conf to allow kernel* updates and then run 'yum update' again
and install the latest secure kernel. You can run 'yum clean' to
free up some disk space.

Mine is not a 'full' install. My test drive is only 2gig but includes
most of the common install items, about 1gig including X, Gnome, Devel
games and http, sendmail and bind servers.  I would expect
the script to work on a full installation.

Please test, advise and have fun.

Kevin
PS thanks for the updates.

#!/bin/sh
### 6-16-2004 kevin1a at varlog dot net
###  This was created to automatically update a fresh RH 7.2 install
###  to the latest updated version.

### uninstall the deps problems. We'll reinstall them at the end.
rpm -e iptables rpm-python up2date rhn_register up2date-gnome rhn_register-gnome tkinter rpm-build rpm-devel gnorpm

###  These two depend on each other so install them together [rpm and popt].
rpm -Uvh http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.2/updates/i386/rpm-4.0.4-7x.i386.rpm http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.2/updates/i386/popt-1.6.4-7x.i386.rpm

###  Get ready for YUM
rpm -Uvh http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.2/updates/i386/gnupg-1.0.7-13.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.2/updates/i386/python-1.5.2-43.72.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.2/updates/i386/rpm-python-4.0.4-7x.i386.rpm

### Install YUM
### don't worry it's 7.3, it works fine on 7.2.
rpm -Uvh http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.3/legacy-utils/i386/yum-1.0.3-6.0.7.x.legacy.noarch.rpm

###  Run twice as it will tell you it has to restart to read the keys.
gpg --import /usr/share/doc/yum-1.0.3/*GPG-KEY
gpg --import /usr/share/doc/yum-1.0.3/*GPG-KEY

###  Update the system.
### select 'y' when asked to confirm the update
yum update

### Re-install what we originally removed.
yum install up2date rhn_register up2date-gnome rhn_register-gnome tkinter rpm-build rpm-devel gnorpm iptables

--
Kevin Brouelette <kevin1a at varlog.net>
kevin1a at varlog.net