mach needs "redundant" BuildRequires

Stefan van der Eijk stefan at eijk.nu
Wed Mar 10 21:03:07 UTC 2004

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:22:36 +0100, Stefan van der Eijk wrote:
>

>>Due to the fact that -devel packages have no *automatic* dependencies
>>added to them, there is no significant dependency structure in them.
>>This makes getting the right BuildRequires for the packages nearly
>>impossible. This issue and the solution Mandrake chose to implement are
>>documented here:
>>    http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/RpmDevelDependencies
>>

>Fetching dependencies from pkgconfig templates is missing on that
>page. Pkgconfig has an own dependency chain. When a -devel package gets
>installed and contains support for pkgconfig,
>
>  pkg-config --list-all
>
>should not fail due to a broken chain of dependencies. The package should
>require every [-devel] package needed to complete the dependencies listed
>in the pkgconfig file.

I agree with you. But don't you agree that the functionality that the
devel() depedencies provides is already a lot better than letting the
packager decide what the dependencies will be (by specifying them in the
.spec file). Of course a packager can still specify them if he wants to.

Perhaps we can explore the possibilities that a pkg-config related
dependency scheme can bring, perhaps complementing the devel()
dependencies. The trick will be to find a way to find the pkgconfig
capabilites a package Requires *and* what pkgconfig capabilites a
package Provides.

regards,

Stefan van der Eijk