getting yum on redhat 8.0

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Mar 20 03:29:31 UTC 2004

Quoting Wade Maxfield <maxfield at one.ctelcom.net>:

>> > The instructions for
>> > installing the apt using rpm don't work exactly as stated.
>>
>> Because there is no released apt for 8.0 from FL yet, though one has been
>> in development for a while now.
>
> Sorry, I was not clear on that remark.  Installing apt using rpm for 7.x
> does not work as stated on a 7.x box, at least for a stupid user such as
> myself.  It fails silently.

I'm not sure what you mean.  There are no instructions for installing apt
on 7.x machines.  Do you mean on a 8.0 box?

>   The problem is the ??? in the description.  I assumed that it would
> magically fetch the right file name.   Instead rpm will not do a web page
> fetch when done that way.  The correct file name had to be gathered by
> looking at the download.fedoralegacy.org page and realizing what the
> actual file name was, and plugging that in.

There should be no file to find for 7.x or 8.0.  I'm not sure where you
found any apt files to install.

There are instructions for 8.0 there, but they specifically say that
they won't work (and won't be completed) until there is a package.

>   Since most fedoralegacy users are rather intelligent and can get past
> that just like I did, I just made a simple mention and did not clarify
> myself.

I'm still totally confused about what you mean...

>> If you want to put any of this up on the FL wiki, I won't stop you (and
>> may even help improve it).  But I don't think it is appropriate for the
>> web site, IMHO.
>
> I'll look into it.  May I borrow some of the original web page for 7.x
> so it looks consistent?  I'll make sure that this is described as a
> TEMPORARY document until the FL yum is done.  It will take some time to
> get another round tuit.

Yes, you may use any or all of the existing yum or apt docs to start with.

--
Eric Rostetter