Fedora Legacy Test Update Notification: openssl095a

Chip Turner cturner at redhat.com
Tue Mar 23 21:05:18 UTC 2004

Paul Heinlein <heinlein at cse.ogi.edu> writes:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Lucas Albers wrote:
>
> > Do you have to restart your services or reboot the machine after
> > installing these ssl libarary updates?
>
> A reboot is the 100% completely safe (albeit vaguely Redmond-ish)
> method for picking up the new libraries.
>
> If you can easily identify the running services that are linked to
> libssl and libcrypto, then a simple service restart will suffice.

As an exercise I once wrote this script to detect any running
processes that had mmap'd any files that were removed.  Basically this
detects things like a glibc or openssl update being applied but some
processes not being restarted.  Worked decently.  Basically grepping
/proc/*/maps for '(deleted)' (ignoring the SYSV results) will detect
such processes; this script goes a bit further to figuer out what
package the missing library was from, etc.

Probably not useful here other than to express /proc/*/maps contains
some info that helps detect these cases and to avoid unnecessary
reboots (just restart affected services).