Please Use the Mirrors!

Rick Johnson rjohnson at medata.com
Fri May 7 14:49:48 UTC 2004

David Rees wrote:
> If the goal is to save bandwidth, installing a local caching proxy like
> squid is a good idea, just make sure that you set the maximum file size
> to something large enough to cover the biggest RPM in the repository.
> Typically machines will do a number of things in day-to-day operation,
> check for the latest headers, and download updates.  Both of those
> operations will be cached by the local proxy.  The downside of rsync is
> that you need to run it periodically, and there will be quite a large
> amount of storage space required as well.

I've done something compromising in my situation. I've created one
server as a "cache" for yum. I then have my various servers' (which are
local) /var/cache/yum directories nfs mounted to their version's
appropriate yum cache. The first server will usually fetch most of the
packages/headers/etc. and then the subsequent machines that night will
pull the packages from their "local" cache vs. downloading them again.

For machines local to this NFS server, this works quite well.
Performance is a bit slower than it would be if they were local, and
doing this over our wide-area network is prohibitively slow. It also
cannot be done easily for machines on the "wrong" side of the firewall.

In some ways this is more efficent than rsyncing the entire tree since
most of my "servers" don't have "all" packages installed. The downside
is that the header.info files are retrieved each time, so it may or may
not balance out in the end.

-Rick
Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson at medata.com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc. (from home)