yum and redhat 8.0

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Sun May 9 18:48:39 UTC 2004

Quoting Eucke <euckew at sierraelectronics.com>:

> I finally was able to get YUM 1.x installed on my RH8 clean
> installed server and have been working on getting 2.x installed (latest
> current off freshrpms.net) but keep failing a dependency check for rpm 4.1.1
> and rpm-python 4.1.1.

See http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/8.0/legacy-utils/i386/ for
the key rpms.  If you are having other dependencies, like gnome-rpm
or something, then let us know.  Most likely you would need to uninstall
such problematic rpms.  You may be able to find some of them from
fedora.us or freshrpms.org, but that isn't a sure thing.

> Should I assume that RH8 and YUM 2.x are not ready for prime time?

Well, not sure.  You'll be telling us.

> Should I
> perhaps consider moving to RH9 and doing my build there?

Perhaps.  But we can not decide that for you.  You could also consider
using apt instead, or sticking with yum 1.x instead.

> Your advice will be taken to heart!
>
> Thanks all!
>
> Eucke
>

> --