RH9 user - what should I do?

Mike Vanecek fedoraleg_form at mm-vanecek.cc
Thu May 13 18:30:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:16:18 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote
> On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:05:51 -0500, Mike Vanecek wrote:
>
> > >   baseurl=http://legacy.linux.duke.edu/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
> >
> > What is the best baseurl to use for
> >
> > [redhat-os]
> > name=Red Hat Linux $releasever ($basearch)
> > baseurl= ?
> >
> > I want to keep the base os as RH 9, not Fedora. Is there a yum repository for
> > the base RH 9?
>
> For instance, this mirror: http://legacy.linux.duke.edu/redhat/9/
>
>   baseurl=http://legacy.linux.duke.edu/redhat/$releasever/os/$basearch/
>
> I think you misunderstand a few things about Fedora Legacy, Fedora Core
> and Fedora.us.  The default baseurl in fedora.us' yum package points
> to a plain mirror of Red Hat Linux 9 (just that it is located on
> Hawaii, and you should find a more nearby one, unless you are
> located on Hawaii, too).

OK. Please correct me if I do not understand things:

[redhat-os]
name=Red Hat Linux $releasever ($basearch)
baseurl=
  http://download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/yum/os/

which basically gets me to

http://download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/9/i386/yum/os/RPMS/

which, as you note, is located in Hawaii.

[For me then,
  http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora.us/fedora/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/yum/os/

makes sense. BTW, the default config file has it listed as fedora/fedora.]

If I can ever connect to

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/os/i386/RedHat/

the ftp.redhat.com site should contain basically the same files as seen at
download.fedora.us or mirros.kernel.org, i.e., the original RH 9 rpms.

BTW, a sentence or two on the doco at

http://www.fedoralegacy.org/docs/yum-rh9.php

explaining that the fedora/redhat site is just the original RH 9 might help
others in the future. A link to mirrors

http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraMirrorList

might help too. The doco says to run yum update as root. Being the cautious
type about new things, it might be better to suggest running yum check-update
first to create the package list and see if something needs installing. Also,
some explanation as to why (exclude=kernel*) kernels are being excluded.

Uhm, why are the kernels being excluded?

Why is it when one does a yum list, all the mysql rpms are not listed even
though they are on the server (both at download.fedora.us and mirrors.kernel.org)?

 mysql-3.23.54a-11.i386.rpm                       23-Feb-2003 22:38  5.0M
 mysql-devel-3.23.54a-11.i386.rpm                 23-Feb-2003 22:38  566K
 mysql-server-3.23.54a-11.i386.rpm                23-Feb-2003 22:38  1.1M

Thanks for the help. As I learn I will try to help others with the basics as well.