Quetion about legacy support for FC1

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri May 14 08:37:10 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 02:13:35AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 09:04 +0300, Ivan Pesin wrote:
> > Jesse Keating wrote:
> > > Yes, and yes.  I'm going to try to work with Red Hat and perhaps issue
> > > one last yum update for FC1 before it gets EOLed that will contain
> > > config files that point to Fedora Legacy servers.  Not sure how well
> > > they will take to this idea, I haven't floated it by them yet.
> >
> > I think it is really good idea!
>
> I think, unless people have not modified their yum.conf at all, it won't
> work.
>
> yum.conf is marked config(noreplace) last time I checked.
>
> so a new yum will just create a yum.rpmnew

Seth is right, almost noone leaves these config files unmodified :)

But how about paving the path at the very birth of a release by having
the fedoralegacy entries added at the very beginning of the life cycle
of FC<N> pointing to an empty folder?  People will add repos and so on,
and the legacy pointer will wait for fedoralegacy to populate the
matching folder at EOL time, e.g.

# The following repo will be populated when Fedora Core 2 reaches EOL,
# which will be approximately in <compute EOL date>
# see fedoralegacy.org for details.
[legacyupdates]
name=Fedora Core $releasever legacy updates
baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/$releasever/updates/$basearch

(and fedoralegacy will have free monitoring/statistics of Fedora
deployment ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net