Quetion about legacy support for FC1

Carlos Villegas villegas at math.gatech.edu
Fri May 14 14:28:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 10:38:43PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> Yes, and yes.  I'm going to try to work with Red Hat and perhaps issue
> one last yum update for FC1 before it gets EOLed that will contain
> config files that point to Fedora Legacy servers.  Not sure how well
> they will take to this idea, I haven't floated it by them yet.

I've already read several replies on this thread, and although I
can see the benefits, I beleive is a bad idea. People should not
transition to FL without noticing. I believe that the fact that
they see an "official EOL" by the FC project, and an easy
transition to FL is important and should not be hidden,
especially considering that there will still be a "real EOL" when
FL legacy stops supporting that version. It is important that
end users of the OS are aware of this things and take them into
consideration in their deployments and when having some spare
time/hardware/bandwith to contribute back. I would personally
feel very suspicious of anything that either tries to mess around
with my configs or tries to add unnecessary "authorized" GPG keys
or something else... Especially if I'm unaware of the reasons for
this things.

Carlos