apt or yum?

Carlos Villegas villegas at math.gatech.edu
Fri May 14 16:58:30 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 04:55:39PM +0300, Harri Haataja wrote:
> Quite so. It is great to have freedom of choice, but it does complicate
> things if there's no clear default and you haven't already become
> familiar with any of the options somehow.

In Fedora Core there is a default: yum, so if you're looking for
what's the default and go with it, then that's your answer. On
the other hand if you want to check what are your options, study
them and choose from there, then the question about having a
default suddenly becomes irrelevant...

> One thing that could be mentioned in these is that, AFAIK, yum is rpm
> specific while apt-get is largely common with the dpkg version. This can
> tip the choice either way, of course (unity and legacy opinoins).

I think there is a slight confusion there, yum only works with
rpm, that's true and has been so since it's beginning, apt-get
was originally created by the debian project, and as such worked
with dpkg, it was later ported to work with rpms (of course
not for debian) and is heavily used by some distros (as their
default). I'm not sure how the history of the tools can help you
make up your mind... Personally I believe both tools are great, there is
really not much of a difference for most people.

Carlos

PS: I use yum at work, and apt-get (for debian) at home.
PS2: one thing I love about apt-get is the "source" command, but
	not sure if it's available for the rpm version of
	apt-get, I also heard rumors that it would eventually
	appear in yum, but I'm not sure what the status of that
	is.