apt or yum?

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Fri May 14 17:54:46 UTC 2004

At 10:44 AM 5/14/2004, you wrote:
>Both apt and yum are just acting as front-ends to RPM, right?  Is there
>any reason one cannot use both, rather than choosing one?

Well, it's easier to set up one tool than two.

Other than that, all I can think of is that it's a bit more efficient.  If
you install packages through apt, yum still has to grab those headers the
next time it runs.  If you use yum every time, it already grabbed them.

That said, on my Fedora Core systems I run both up2date and apt-get -
up2date for system updates, and apt-get (usually through synaptic) for
FreshRPMs, Dag, ATRPMs, etc., and I use yum on most of the Red Hat systems
that are set up to use Fedora Legacy.

Kelson Vibber