apt or yum?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Sat May 15 16:29:25 UTC 2004

On Sat, 15 May 2004, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 06:59:05PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > Sure "source" and "build-dep" and such work in apt-rpm as well. In fact
> > apt-rpm is in many ways far more advanced than "Debian apt". See
> > http://lwn.net/Articles/60650/ for a list of some killer features (IMHO)
> > in apt-rpm which are not present in Debian version.
>
> My favorite one is installing packages by filename. That's so useful.

Indeed (and dont forget installing by an arbitrary URL either :)
AFAIK apt is the only one of the depsolvers which supports that, or at
least that was the case last I checked. I know Adrian wants to add that
support to up2date (there is/was a comment in up2date source about that
being "unnecessarily difficult to do at the moment"), dunno if Seth is
considering adding that to yum.

	- Panu -