State of 7.2/8.0 in Fedora Legacy

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Thu May 20 13:39:27 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 04:31:57PM +0300, Steve Stavropoulos wrote:

>  Maybe you could move redhat 7.2 to an unsupported/ folder and put there
> the rebuilded packages which were for 7.3. I think that in 99.999% of the
> cases there will be no problems at all and this service will be invaluable
> to many. For the remaining 0.001%, well... they have been warned and I'm
> sure they will warn the others so the package in question will get fixed
> pretty quickly :)
>  The extra time needed for this is not very much and in that way we could
> have several other distros (8.0 maybe?) in an almost fully supported
> state.

A better way of doing this would be to offer some unofficial advice that
people should use 7.3 packages if they want to risk it. But this /will/
break stuff somewhere along the line, which means that they are worse of
than if they had upgraded to redhat 7.3 or done their own packages
development for their machines.

Another option might be to call 7.2 and 8.0 unsupported, continue to
support the uploading and QA of packages for those releases, but *not*
to delay releases for 7.3 and 9. That way the really important stuff can
get fixed by those who care, and it doesn't greatly affect the rest of
the project (beyond the extra admin work required to rebuild and issue
extra advisories)

Dominic.