fedora-legacy-list Digest, Vol 3, Issue 24

David Botsch dwb7 at ccmr.cornell.edu
Fri May 21 17:20:05 UTC 2004

The only thing to think about with FC1, perhaps, is that it is the last
2.4 kernel release (unless FC2 offers a substitute 2.4. kernel). For many,
going to the 2.6 kernel at this time is not a viable option. Reasons include
wanting to let it be out there for a while to see what is and is not broken.

In our case, we use a filesystem called Openafs. The 2.6 kernel completely
broke openafs. I won't get into the politics of the situation, but if we
were to go to a fedora core relase, it would have to be FC1.

I wonder if you will find that there is support for a release like FC1
a la rh7.3 as compared to the other FC releases.

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 04:25:50PM -0700, Howard Owen wrote:

> That makes sense. So effectively we add a year to the support lifetime of
> the Fedora Core releases.
>
> I also see why dropping two lesser used releases makes arithmetic sense.
>
> On Thu, 20 May 2004, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 20 May 2004 16:08, Howard Owen wrote:
> > > I know you've thought about what it will mean to support three
> > > releases a year, *every year*.
> > >
> > > How about picking just one a year?
> >
> > Not 3.  2.  Every 4 to 6 months, and the way I've seen things go (from
> > the inside) we're going to be pretty close to just 2 a year.  Fedora
> > Legacy will only support 2 FC releases at a time.  So when FC1 goes
> > EOL, we support it, and when FC2 goes EOL, we support it.  When FC3
> > goes eol, we no longer support FC1, just FC2 and FC3.  So on and so
> > forth.
> >

> --
> Howard Owen                      "Even if you are on the right
> EGBOK Consultants                 track, you'll get run over if you
> hbo at egbok.com    +1-650-218-2216  just sit there." - Will Rogers
>

> --

David William Botsch
Consultant/Advisor II