How To Upgrade 7.1 to 7.3 via yum

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Fri May 21 18:13:10 UTC 2004

John Dalbec wrote:
> I've upgraded 7.1 to 7.3 on several production servers.  I first did a
> traditional upgrade on a test copy of one of the servers.  I then
> compared the old and new package lists.  I rebuilt several customized
> packages because they were "older" than the 7.3 versions.  I installed
> the C library on the production servers.  This caused SSHd not to do
> initgroups() on login the next morning. Restarting SSHd fixed the
> problem.  I installed the custom packages on the production servers.  I
> installed the packages that were added during the traditional upgrade.
> I installed the packages from CD 1 using rpm -Fvh a*.rpm, ... rpm -Fvh
> z*.rpm, rpm -Fvh *.rpm.  I did the same with CDs 2 and 3. Occasionally I
> had to install packages from a different CD to satisfy dependencies so I
> just scp'd them to my account on the server from my workstation.  The
> one problem that bit me was that the default /etc/identd.conf changed to
> enable encryption of ident information.  I use ident authentication on
> my PostgreSQL server which is needed for web applications so that broke.
> Once I figured out that identd was the problem, I just had to change the
> default setting back.

That sounds like alot of work.  Ouch.

> I also upgraded 7.1 to 7.3 on my home firewall using apt-get.  I had a
> problem with gdk-pixbuf-gnome - apt-get wanted to remove it.  I wound up
> copying and pasting the "upgraded packages" list into separate apt-get
> commands a line at a time.  Eventually I figured out that if I specified
> gdk-pixbuf-gnome on the apt-get command it would upgrade it instead of
> removing it.  My one mistake was not re-running LILO.  Naturally I
> didn't have a boot disk available.  I had to make a boot floppy on a 7.3
> system at work and figure out which partition was my root partition via
> trial and error.

So it sounds like apt does a good job of it, and I have heard of many people
using it to do the upgrades.  That lilo part does get alot of people.  But you
can actually use the rescue part of RedHat 9, or Enterprise, and it will work
fine with RedHat 7.3 for doing the re-lilo, or re-grub.

I'm not saying yum is better or worse, it's just what I use, and it works
great for me.  I'm sure there are plenty of people on this list that would
like an upgrade via apt document, just like this upgrade via yum document.  I
personally am not the person to write it, cuz I don't use it.

Troy
Troy Dawson  dawson at fnal.gov  (630)840-6468